Create SharePoint Site Column using CSOM
What is SharePoint Site Columns:
Basically, in SharePoint, you add a column in list and library.Site columns are some standard column, you can add in SharePoint site and Subsite list and libraries. Site columns are very useful and reusable column, save your much time.SharePoint site column is like a template can be used oversite and subsite but not in the parallel site collection. You don’t need to create custom column within each individual List or Library if, you have created the site column.
How to create SharePoint site columns:
Create SharePoint Site Column using CSOM. To create site column is very simple and straightforward. Let’s see below step to the creation of site column.
- Select the ‘cog’ on the top right corner and click on ‘Site settings’ option:
- Click on Site Column in the section of Web Designer Galleries
- Click on Create button to creating new site column
- Now fill all the required information
- 5. In the Existing group, drop-down either create your own specific named group or select custom group. click on create. Now site column will be added to the custom group.
Add site column to list and libraries:
- Go to list on which you want to add the site column
- Go to List setting and Scroll down and select ‘add from existing site columns’
- Now add site column from custom column group in which you have added it.
- Finally, your site column has been added.
You can add the same column in any another site and subsite document library and list by using the same process. It will store data in respective a document library and list.
Create Site Column Programmatically using CSOM
If you want to create site column CSOM programmatically, you can create site column with the different data type as Text field, Indexed field, Multi-line field, Boolean field, Date Time field, Number field, Choice field etc. Below is code link for creating site column with the different data type. There are some attributes specified that will be used in creating fields.
- The ID of the field, which is a GUID- Not mandatory it will auto-generate
- The Name, which is the internal name of the field
- The StaticName, which is the static name of the field
- The DisplayName, which is display name of the field
- The Type attribute which indicates the data type of the field